Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Finished, but unhappy...

This isn't going to be like one of my normal blogs. Yes it's been aaaaaaaaaaaages since I last posted, but unfortunately I need to rant about this though. It annoys me alot. Not many things annoy me ALOT, but when it's actually serious, it does.

It also refers to exams though. Yes i'm finished, but I'll get to that later. It involves my last exam - tax law, where I bumped into Katus and Ems, and stole Katus glasses for an hour, but it's about this exam.

Normally i'm ok if there's something in the exam that catches me by surprise and I was stupid enough not to study it, fine i'm a complete idiot and there's no excuse. If there's something that's more challenging compromising of a combination of topics and requires you to think on the spot and think critically, that's ok with me and i'm fine with that. What happened in this tax law exam in unacceptable.

We thought "Hey he's giving us an idea what going be like and the topics we need to concentrate on" and at least giving us a shot of passing course. We thought he was an actual good lecturer. That's so changed after this exam.

Sure he might not have lectured on this particular topic, but the Lecturer-In-Charge does look at the exam paper BEFORE it's handed out to students, and so you should be telling them what's in the exam TO EVERYONE.

I'll just lay it out:

1) Apparently the lecturer-in-charge had told a particular lecture class that there were specific calculations that were not going to be in that exam. He did NOT tell this to any day lecture class. He told this to a night class. Now that's an unfair advantage. I heard this just half an hour before the exam started. That's not the worst bit.

2) He had told us a particular topic was not covered in the exam. Turns out at least 12 marks out of 60 had elements of this topic. Now that's just wrong. He lied right to us. I am talking about the LIC here just in case you didn't know.

The thing on top of that is this course is only offered in semester 2...unless you want to do it in summer school...great money making tactic.

The fact that a lecturer would do both these things is just unheard of. I know what I'm going to do if I fail this course. Just to make it completely obvious, here's a link of the announcement he gave us before the exam (edited to preserve anonymity). Now you check point 2 of this announcement...

I don't care if it's harder than normal, I don't care if it makes you think. The fact that you gave some people an unfair advantage and lied right to us is not just unethical, it's bordering true sadism. This is one lecturer I will never respect again, nor will I ever ever trust again.

Yes apart from that rant, i'm done...which is joyous and not at the same time, and not because of this ridiculous behaviour. But yes hopefully i'll return to a more 'normal' mood next time around...

[EDIT] Just to make things worse, the lecturer in charge's capped the presentation/attendance marks (which are out of 10) to 8...sure it doesn't mean much when scaling kicks in, but still do you really need to be that pedantic about giving marks? You've screwed around with us once, now you're doing it again?[/EDIT]

14 comments:

Eh? said...

Indeed it's true, but this is just so wrong...

Ascasewwen said...

That's terrible! I assume there is something you can do if it ends up impacting on your results?

But as Em said, God is in control of the situation even though it was such a nasty thing to have happen.

Anonymous said...

That's ebil...but yes, what everyone else said. God is in control of everything, and it's over now. It's all in God's hands.

Douganator said...

can i just say this is UNAUSTRALIAN and the perfect oppurtunity to do a today tonight story on whomever was the one who caused this blatant disregard of equity, which i might add is an Aussie tradition which transcends from the bonds of mateship which were formed at gallipoli. So by doing such an outrage this person is defaming our Aussie diggers, absolute disgrace, and i'm sure today tonight will be on their case!

much love, dougie!

Ascasewwen said...

Your resident media student is violently and repeatedly *headTARDISing* at this turn of events!

Some things should not even be joked about! :-P

Amanda said...

I'm not going to be cliche and say god has it under control (though that is true). Instead, I'll let you know that my sympathies go out to you. That doesn't seem fair. I don't know what it's like to have an exam screwed up for me like that, though I do know what it feels like to lose respect for a tuteror.

Be strong Brother!

Anonymous said...

Yes, God is in control. But what's more: God is just.

Eh? said...

Indeed God is Just and it is all in His hands. Thanks to each and every single one of you guys for your support :)

This semester's results mean a little more to me than normal for obvious reasons...

rainweb said...

he is evil, but you'll be ok.
hey, u sent a group email saying u need pics 4 ur bday and giving details about access to a room of some sort for your bday....
i can only assume i wasnt invited and accidental reference was made to the party, or i was accidentally emailed.
humph, sir.
-sparkle

Eh? said...

Hmmmm...you're not the only one with this problem...now I think I need to emsil people who I did invite in the 1st place again...hmmm...

Ascasewwen said...

Your blog seems to be feeling a little blue. (*ba dum ching*)

Eh? said...

You couldn't resist couldn't you?

Ascasewwen said...

There were more but I restrained myself to one. hehe

Eh? said...

...Just let it out lol...