My apologies for the last post. There's been a theory I've developed and just trying to get feedback about it. Successfully I might add. It's given me limited perspective, but some perspective that's shaped my view. Something I've been doing quite a bit of lately - apologising. But also some more I need to do.
For those who read Katus' post about Facebook and my comments about it, I apologise for offending anyone who uses it. Now I'm not saying that there aren't any advantages. There's huge, and I mean HUGE advantages for getting Facebook, but it's not for me. For those who use it, I hope you have a reason for using it, but not just procrastination. Anyways, if you're happy using Facebook, so be it.
Not too much has happened since the last time I blogged. But there's been two events that have struck me in the same way.
Nora's 21st was the first one and boy was it something I needed that night. Most of the people who turned up were her family or part of her church, but there were a few here and there who were part of her high school and primary school. Of course it wouldn't have been complete without any CUers there. It's just not Nora without CU people or ex-CU people as the case may be.
The band that was there - wow. They were good. For those who were "lucky" enough to be there and watched me, yeah I don't show my appreciation to it as much as you guys, but let me tell you I was just as much into that as you guys were. It just takes something really original and striking to make me really interested and get into it. They played an assortment of music with a jazz vibe to it, and that sesame street cover was good. Really good.
Nora's own speech was very inspiring. She stood there in front of friends and family and told her parents that the reason she was standing in front of everyone that day was because of what God has done for her and through her life. Fair enough there's been quite a few people who've done that before, like Dave Luo, but every single time, it's just amazing to see that over and over again. To see how strong and how convicted a person is to their Faith. That's something to praise God for. All glory goes right up to the big honcho because it's not us, it's Him.
I say this all the time, but the significance of it never ever changes and I'm so glad of this - It was really good to see old faces and spend time with people I know. Sure people change and most things don't stay the same. But talking like nothing ever changed in the first place, that's something. It's something that can only be done with certain friends. There's not too many of them in the world, and especially not for me, unlike what other people think.
Then the following night I met up with some of my old lecture buddies. Sure we weren't in the same lectures all the time for obvious reasons like timetables didn't match or we weren't doing the right subjects, but it was definitely great to see these guys and go on like old times.
The Kev and Ivan show was hilarious as always. We, being the only other people there - Mary and I, absolutely loved it what they did to each other. Those two are honestly like an old couple. It's so funny. The things they were saying to each other and how they do things, it's such a typical family comedy. In the best way possible of course.
Kev is one of those people who can't let go of things. He takes his part time job really seriously. Even to the point where he stresses out over his part time job. He has other things on his plate, but he still doesn't find things to de-stress himself. He's always running around like a headless chicken. Ivan on the other hand, he relaxes through life. He's so laid back, unmotivated and lazy it's not just a force of habit, it's his initial instinct and reaction to things. He just doesn't want to do anything most of the time. "There's always tomorrow" is definitely a tag that applies to Ivan.
Now you put the two of them together and you can only imagine the comedy that unravels before your very eyes, and that's where I'll leave it with that. Why spoil it with actual events that mark the comedy when your imagination could run wild and think of even more hilarious things?
Then there's Mary. She's just one of those people who just understands how people are at that time and knows quite a few funny people. Of course it doesn't hurt when she's going through the same things other people are going through to relate to them. Most of the time all her and I did was laugh at the other two and their little show. How couldn't you? They were just that funny. All in all, was definitely good to see old friends again.
This hasn't been a new idea and it's pretty obvious to everyone, but these two events did remind me how distant I've been to everyone in general. How it's been hard to keep in contact with everyone. Some of you may know that I'm currently reassessing things in my life. If you didn't, well now you know.
One thing I stumbled across was how much I don't know about what's happening in many people's lives who I called my friends. Even with some of my closest friends, I had no idea what was happening in their lives. With other people it's worse. There were people who I thought I knew them pretty well but they kept things from me for reasons that were personal, there were people who were never really honest about certain issues because of fear, and with others, as I'm finding out now, I never really knew them at all because of the lack of effort or care from both sides.
All of this just shows how much distance there has been between the people I call friends and I. How much has happened that I don't know about and all. Not saying I should know everything, but there's just so much to know. Fair enough it's natural not to be as close these days as we were back then, but how much we do talk is not acceptable. Not saying it's any of your fault, because it's mostly mine for not wanting to talk in the first place. It's just how much time has flown this year and how much has happened in that time that's caused this distance.
It also doesn't help that people are leaving. To those who have left - we need to talk and fill in the lost time. It's been way too long with you guys. To those who are leaving - depending on what you're doing: hopefully you'll come back in one piece having some of the best experiences you'll ever have in your life and good luck with what happens in that thing we call the unknown. Either way, keep in touch.
I was listening to this song and some of the lyrics are just perfect for this thing I'm talking about and how it reaches to the most important people in my life, whether they're here or not. It's slightly out of context from the song, but well it makes my point :) It's something that I need to do with my friends, and what you've done for me, some have had a huge impact on this. For that I hope I will continue doing so and thank you for the second part.
This, hopefully, should continue to happen regardless of distance, which is why it makes it perfect for this. I spend so much time talking about distance yet I don't do anything. I hope this is a start:
"I spend a lifetime just to show you
How I appreciate you
You taught me how to be myself."
8 comments:
You have to stop the dramatics! For you, it's just too predictable.
To everyone else, when you realise Matt's style, it becomes quite predictable what he's saying. He says he likes to "reach out to all his friends with different circumstances using the same words". It's a cover.
So who aggrevated you and what are the circumstances?
I can't believe you'd say something like that. Hey there's things I realise and I type it out for all to read. It doesn't mean that sonething's actually happened you know...
I just came to a realisation. That's it...
A realisation. We know what a "realisation" is.......
aggrAvation.
what ails thee my son?
-mum the second
'My son'? Matt explain......
and start posting. Now.
Mum: Not much, I'll tell you more in my next post :)
Jess: Long story. I'll post when I get the chance...
POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment