Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007...

Another year. Another 12 months where anything could've happened. Another 12 months of highs and/or lows and another 12 months of life. Now that's vague.

Unlike last year, this year has been complicated and full of change. During the year there have been quite a few drastic changes no-one saw coming, there have been moments where it has been awesome time to be with people and to catch up, and there have been moments where some have gone through a tough time.

I don't think this year can be summed up simply in some vague annual post, although one can try. It has been quite a roller-coaster type of year where so much change has happened, yet some things are as they were 12 months ago.

Adjustment is a word that definitely applies to this year. I think it's because of this adjustment that made this year seem complicated. Or at least a factor to said complications. It's not just because of a change in circumstances that this adjustment was needed this year. It's also because of the change in circumstances to come and preparing for it that has impacted quite heavily during the year. Of course this is only one such adjustment.

Another big one is the people around you. One thing I've noticed is that close friendships, without any work, fade. Of course that's obvious to everyone, but another thing I noticed was that these close friendships fade because of the lack of effort from either one side or both. Business or laziness? I don't know...

Also, the people around you also disappear and change. Again a blatantly obvious comment...unless it's with people you wouldn't expect to gain and/or lose. I think to lose those friends is not a great feeling, but at the same time it happens all the time. These friends you lose, it's possible that they're just "seasonal" friends. It's not that they're not great friends, but friends that come during a particular period in time, and then when the contact isn't as often, they disappear. Then if you start talking to them again and getting close, they're back to being great friends. This wave has been more apparent this year.

I honestly believe that the friends that you keep doesn't necessarily mean they're the closest friends you'll ever have. It's because the friends you unexpectedly gain could provide you with something you never had before and it could be eye-opening. It's these friends that you should cherish and keep who will help you and who you can help later on in life. It sounds like a vicious cycle huh? Actually the point is it happened and it's been the best thing that's happened to some people. The people you don't expect to be friends with become some of your closest friends. It's these that have been a great addition.

If you haven't noticed, change is a major topic discussed in this post and it was one of the themes of last year's post. I've already talked about these two concepts but I think the next two topics lead on to the other word that was used earlier...

The anticipated change is one of these concepts. I've talked about the change in circumstances and how that change affects people. I haven't talked about how that's affected people. I think getting ready for that change does help you cope with situations that are out of your control. The acceptance of these things come at a cost, some of which some are willing to bear, and others not so. The anticipated change that you cause leads to a multitude of effects, like ecstasy, revitalisation, fear and doubt. It's these feelings that lead onto this "other word"...

The other one is the unexpected change. Obviously there's been plenty of that and plenty of different reactions. I've talked about how this happens heaps with friends. That's just one example. Of course the unexpected change affects people depending on what change it is. If a good change, then it's a pleasant surprise. If it's a bad change, then it's an unwanted surprise. What if this change had good elements but meant you had to give up something you don't want to? Or if the change is a chance of a lifetime, but meant giving up everything?

If you haven't scrolled up and looked at "the word", well it's a complicated post isn't it? It's that complicated that I lost track of what I was writing half way through and had to edit it to make some sense to you. It's because of this that has affected this year in a good and bad way. It's certainly made life interesting and it's also quite different from other years. Tying all this up together is probably a small snapshot of the year.

Most of these issues does come back down to choice. I know some choices have been for the best and it's made life a whole lot better because of it. But other choices have turned disastrous and has made everything messy. The choices made this year have been a mixed bag, making everything messy because some bits are great and others not so.

I just read last year's post and saw how things were great, partly due to the choices that were made during the year. Compared to last year, not only have things changed heaps and become more complicated, but also how different experiences change you in ways you never thought possible. Oh I do miss the simpler days.

Looking forward, I honestly believe that the experiences of this year not only has changed perceptions of the world, but also how everyone adapts to that perception. Not everyone sees the world through one pair of eyes and that's brought the changes and complications. I think when you realise this, that's when you know you can do something. It's just figuring out if that something is the right thing to do...

The main thing is regardless of what has happened, there's always some constants: being God and some friends. That fact has been relied upon quite a bit during the year and they're always something to look forward to. To have these rock-solid constants have been such a blessing and I don't know what I'd do without them.

Also the promise of a clean slate or the perception of a clean slate is also something to look forward to. A chance to start fresh and that does give hope. I hope that with whatever issues you have this year, I hope most, if not all, stay in this year and not carry forward. Of course if you had an awesome year, I hope that carries forward regardless of what's happening, because you dealt with it or you didn't let it ruin your year. Keep that up!

These things are the stuff I've observed happen during the year to my friends and some of which I've experienced. It's these experiences that do make you who you are. I hope that if you experienced any of what I talked about, that you learn from it and as hard as it may be, to carry them with you. I've seen that happen and the change is so dramatic. It's just a thought...

I wish you all a safe new year with the plans you have for tomorrow and the new year and I hope to catch up with some of you some time during the new year :)

No comments: