Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008

It's that time of the year once more. Where you might or might not reflect on the past 12 months and look forward to the next 12 months. It's a time where you might over think things or you might just want to set yourself free and start over with a clean slate. It's that time of the year where you cherish or dread the next 12 months.

As per tradition, I re-read my post from the previous year to remind me what happened over the course of the previous 12 months and compared them to the 12 months that's about to past. In an overall sense, it's similar in quite a few aspects, such as change, adjustments and friends; and it's very different in terms of shocks that you don't expect to happen to other people, risks, and routines.

This is the first year in quite a while where I'll still be vague but for once a bit of it will be understandable without knowing much detail about what's actually going on. I'm breaking tradition from being super vague to vague lol...

This has been the first year where it has been totally work and study at the same time for the full year. It's been a strain but I can so say that I've had it really easy compared to others where they've had more responsibilities, such as marriage and kids, and more commitments made by them. For me though, it's been a really tiring year and one where it's definitely flown faster than the last.

In the 2007 post, I talked about anticipated and unexpected change in rather vague terms. This year hasn't been any different at all. I've had to experience both types of changes this year and I can say that for both types of changes, although experience helps you deal with these changes quicker, they're no less shocking and, at times, no less difficult to manage. A few of the changes that I dealt with last year were changes in lifestyle moving from one chapter of my life to the next big chapter. This year it's still as life altering as last year but the overall experience isn't new - just a new place doing something new but feeling exactly the same feelings as last year. It was something that I wasn't as shocked about compared to last year.

Adjustments also appeared this year however in a smaller way compared to the previous year. I had to adapt to a totally new lifestyle last year and there were some huge life changing decisions that were made. This year I've had to adjust to working and studying in ways that I knew might have been detrimental to my health but I had to do it to survive. I have...sort of...survived and I know that it's quite different to what I've been used to.

Friends has been another thing that has been similar to last year. What I said last year still applies to this year - there are friends that you pick up along the way that are some of the dearest that you hold to. Also there's friends that you pick up that use you for something. It's hard to find out which friends do what though. The unpredictability and the unexpected friends are the ones that surprise you with something that they do or don't do. They sure surprised me this year.

Routines are one thing that I was never able to stick with because of the nature of my life didn't allow it. There was always something that I needed to do that would take me out of that routine. There's been some developments, especially during the end of the year where I hope that a routine could develop. Normally I'm indifferent to them - It's whatever works for you. But recently I've learnt that sometimes it's a good thing so you're able to handle life easier. It's something that I want to try and during the latter part of the year I was able to get into a little bit of a routine. I hope that it sticks this year :)

There's quite a few things that can change someone's life upside down. Last year there were a few things like that happened with a number of my friends including some of my closest friends and it wasn't a great time for all. The difference between this year and last is more major things have happened to my friends more often. I'm not saying that the issues of last year weren't important nor issues like marriage seem unimportant, but what I'm saying is stuff like cancer and marriage trumps that and it happened more often this year so I've had more friends with bigger issues to deal with, such as cancer and marriage, more often. This part came with its ups and downs and like last year it was a roller coaster ride.

One thing that's changed about me from the last annual post is the risks that have been taken. Normally I'm a risk adverse guy and I don't like taking risks. Throughout this entire year I've taken more risks that I'd normally do and especially at the end of the year I've taken some huge gambles. I'm in a stage, due to work and studying at the same time, where I'm going "Is this it?" and "Could I do this forever?" The way I answered those questions was to jump in feet first and dip into something that I didn't think I would do just yet. In this current economic situation, I'm taking a massive risk with my life and trying to figure out what am I suited for.

I know change is inevitable but to happen so much over the past few years it's been a little tiring to keep up with everything I guess. It's one thing to be in the know about it and another to experience it. I've had to go through all these changes but hey this is me we're talking about here - It'll always happen to me :) It just does hehehe :)

Friends was a huge topic last year and I've talked about it in vague detail this year. I guess when something new in your life happens you're bound to pick up a few friends. Last year I realised how hard it's been to keep in contact with friends and this year hasn't been any different. In some of my previous posts in the current year I've talked about trying to do something about that. I've been able to do a little bit but I never had the time. I'm hoping that this year I might be able to have more time to see people and I hope they have time too ;)

Well now looking forward I guess that I know things will change over the course of the year. It always does but this time I know something big in my life will change and it'll be a whole different experience. I just hope that when that change happens it'll be for the best and then I'll be able to have more time again and hopefully to also kick into a routine so I'm better able to manage everything :) This year I won't need a clean slate. I just hope that I can carry forward what I've learnt and what I've done this year into the next :)

Like last year, the constants have been the same - God and some particular friends. Once again without them I don't know how I would have survived. Unlike last year it's been a bigger struggle and I've had to rely on Him more. I've also had to rely on a few of my friends in a bigger way and it wasn't great timing either. I just hope that I can return the favour this year when we're all in the same boat...

For me, it's been a turbulent year full of drama and issues. Unlike last year it's been something that I've been able to handle reasonably ok with the exception to a few major issues. I talked about having a clean slate last year and I did have somewhat of a clean slate to start over. It just became more complicated this year but being able to handle many things at one time is something I'm still learning. I can't multi-task yet hahahaha :)

Carrying the lessons taught has been something that's helped me. I still have a LONG way to go in alot of areas but I know that the experiences listed above are going to help me and I hope that I'm able to have more of these experiences, regardless of how good or bad they were, so I can learn more. I'm still learning a thing or two hehehe :)

Well that's enough of me ranting so I hope that today's a fantastic day for you whether it's the continuation of great times that's happened this year or whether you're looking forward to a clean slate this year. I hope that whatever you do that you make 2009 a year where you want to do something about your life and how it could change or stay the same depending on circumstances. I wish you all a safe and happy new year and I hope to see some of you soon :)

----------------
Now playing: Newton Faulkner - Dream Catch Me

No comments: