Saturday, May 26, 2007

Reformation and Craziness?

It's only slightly overdue, it's nothing much. I mean you can't blame me for "neglecting" the blog. I mean who reads it anyways? I'm pretty sure there's not many of you who would...Especially considering the frequency of posts from me lol...

There's been way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much going on. A day can change everything, let alone a whole month. But I'm only going to note a few key things from the past month because I'm lazy to type all of it out and it won't be interesting anyways lol...

Em's 21st was great as expected and as I commented in someone's blog some time ago. Great descriptions huh? Anyways seeing all the CU people once again is always great :) Different people this time, but yeah it's great to see everyone :) Also great to see Ro and Heather, the new engaged couple in CU :) Patto proposed on the same night as Em's 21st and he's now engaged so that's pretty interesting :)

It was quite amusing to see how 30 odd people were able to cram into the Teahouse, or any house for that matter. Of course that didn't stop Patchy and Ben doing one-for-one tea towel whipping games and the frustrations of one who was badly beaten :P Just some of the typical moments from that place.

Speeches were pretty funny from Em's school friends. Listing random moments of Em-ness and how it shaped who she is now. Quite interesting to see what happened whilst boarding. Especially the pyromaniac side of her...:P Ash's take on the speeches was a great change :) Very comforting words and a joy to hear :)

Of course Katus, Ems, Bella and others have already posted about this so I don't need to continue :P Pics are up on the pics site so go check it out :) (Link's on the right as my pics site)

I was out with a friend of mine on a Friday night and we bumped into an old school friend who was in our group, but vanished and never came out to things that we organised during uni. The three of us used to do heaps of things together in school and for him to vanish during uni wasn't great for us, but it wasn't the end of the world.

So the three of us had a chat about old times and what's been happening in our lives. For the three of us, there's been quite a few things that have gone on that's shaped us to what we are now. There's been defining moments which have greatly impacted on us.

But the things that have happened to this re-appearing friend was quite extraordinary. When we all went into uni, we all didn't do that much. Although we all didn't do much, he was a high-flier in school and had his eyes set on doing heaps in uni to create contacts in the business world. By semester 2, this friend had his eye on uni politics and wanted to climb that ladder and be in positions of power. There were many things that happened on the way, especially during elections period.

Second year came and he was entrenched into uni politics. He was on a few executive committees and was part of the student executive council. He had the power and was trying to keep his power as other people wanted the positions he held. The women front wasn't great for him either, as he had some women problems to deal with on top of uni politics. Quite a load to juggle.

In third year he dipped his hand into running businesses. He made a little here and there with his businesses, but his uni results suffered heaps, eventually failing a few of his subjects (I think, or he dropped out of a few after the deadlines so he failed that way). He also entered depression during this stage and was pretty hard done by through this period in his life.

Now he's moved out of home, he has a job in a small firm, with the intention of staying there, and still does uni part time but now totally out of uni politics. He doesn't want to be in a well known firm anymore as his priorities have shifted and now he knows what he really wants, and that's not a high-flying career.

It's this reformation that had us thinking about what we really want and also of the old times and how great they really were. The change I've seen in him has really shocked me because he's so smart and he knew it as well. He knew he could go into the world and have his career, but he doesn't want that now. Yes he's still after money, but not a career. It definitely shows how time changes people (but not their core, or rarely changes their core)

So what else's happened over the past month? Unlike what you all reckon, no I haven't been out every weekend. I have been busy though with other things but I haven't been partying up. Well not as often as you think anyways :P

But I do know that for some people, it's an "interesting" time. Especially with problems and all that, and for those who believe, how we're not the one controlling everything. Take Ems for example:

"This last few weeks has been difficult for me for a number of reasons. A few bombs have exploded unpleasantly close to home, and I am aware of a few more waiting on the sidelines for their respective timers to expire. Some have been family bombs, some have been friends'; some have been personal, some have been shared. But all have reinforced a valuable lesson - that I am not the One in charge of my life. God is. And, most importantly, that His plan for my life is perfect. Not just the statement of 'perfection' that we use in relation to any wonderful earthly thing, but perfect in God's eyes. I may not always see this, in fact, sometimes it seems far from it. But He loves me, and He's chosen me, and I am His. What more can I do, then, other than give my All to Him?"

Although it isn't great for her, at least she knows of that comfort. What about those who don't know that comfort? But it isn't just about what you know, it's also about what you do. Everyone knows they need to do that, but are you actually doing something? Again, Ems comments on this:

"I think that as Christians it's very easy to fall into a comfortable, secure Christian niche. It's a 'I have asked God's forgiveness, I know He loves me, I know I love Him, I know....' trap. Yet we are told so often that our lives shall be inundated with challenges and difficulties to be faced in the name of Christ. We lose the fire and drive we had and it's replaced with almost a smugness and contentedness which leaves no room for challenge, and no room for growth."

From this, it's not just about forgiveness from sins, it's also about repentance. What does repentance mean to you? Do you know that your repentant heart will lead to challenges and difficulties? Should the word "repentance" mean anything to you? Should and does it affect your life?

I think it's way too easy for us to be complacent. I've been that a thousand times. I still am pretty complacent. But at the same time, it also depends on where your priorities are. When that's straight, everything else falls into place. Well it should anyways. Not saying it'll be easy, but saying at least the structure's there and you know what you're doing is right in the eyes of God.

I could continue with this but meh lazy :P Besides, I think I've challenged myself too much by typing all of that lol...

Any other suggestions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

a) Hurrah for photos! Thank you!!

b) Hurrah for posting in general - may it continue! :-P

c) Awesome, awesome God!

d) Bed time. Night!

He he he. :-)

Ascasewwen said...

Huzzah indeed for posting, and praise to our amazing God who gets us through the tough times, the wonderful times, and the uneventful times in between.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the photos...and a very interesting story.

God is definitely awesome!

Eh? said...

Yeah photos were long overdue, but at least both Em's and Manda's are up now :)

Yeah the other thing I've reminded myself of is it's much easier to talk about things compared to doing things. Depending on the situation, it's hard to put words into action. But faith without deeds is dead, so yeah definitely a challenge :)

And yay for people commenting :) YAY!!!

rainweb said...

Wise words my son...
LOL
Yes, it also hurts when you realise you've distanced yourself from God a bit...then you try to get back near Him...then you worry coz you don't 'feel' it, then you try to make yourself feel it, then God's quiet love finally is heard and you realise that He's been by your side, guiding you and loving you and helping you grow wiser and yet humbler through the whole thing...

i love our God. You go brother.

Eh? said...

Thanks Ali!